Thursday, July 9, 2009

Humming transformer


Ok, not the movie, but rather the r-core power transformer that I got from Chung at vt4c. I wanted to try a r-core power transformer as I have not tried them in a tube amplifier before. Kinda regretting the decision though...

Chung said that the primary windings are not marked correctly, thus I have wired them out of phase, causing the hum. He suggested that I try to wire the black wires as 0 and 230v and connect the red and orange together to get 230vac on the primary winding.

I tried this out and the hum is lesser, however, the transformer heats up after 10 seconds or so.

I decided to wait for him to measure the transformer when he gets to his warehouse. I've stopped work on the amps for now. In the meantime, I'm expecting to pick up my Nixie Tube clock kit from the post office tomorrow. Yeah... Always wanted to build one of these.

Gonna look around for a nice enclosure to house this baby. ;)

No comments: